Sep 4, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Cultivating your "style" :)

I cannot tell you how happy I was when I started booking clients who would write me saying, " I love your style!". To have someone hire me for my "art" was the most flattering thing. When you first start pursing photography, you are doing a lot of experimenting and learning. You're figuring out the angles & compositions you like to shoot with, poses that work for you, editing that enhances the "feel" your going for, etc.

Over time, with lots of practice, you begin to see and find your STYLE. Some of you may be thinking, "is it really THAT important to have a style", I just like to shoot whatever and however. My answer to this is YES! Having a style that represents your photography and sets YOU apart from the many photographers out there is one of the MOST important things. Like I said, having a style sets you and your business apart. It makes you stand out. It reflects you and what's important to you in photography.

When I first started strongly pursing photography my last year of college, I had no "style" at all. As far as style goes...I basically knew a few different compositions I liked to shoot, a few different angles & fun poses, but that was about it. I had not yet "found" my style. Which is completely normal. Unless you are trying to copy another photographers work...you really don't know your style until you have spent a bit of time developing it. This is a process you really can't rush. It just takes TIME.

I began to develop my "style" shooting engagement portraits of friends who were newly engaged. It was the perfect chance to begin to learn and practice every aspect of photography. Shortly after, I began shooting other portraits: children, families, maternity, seniors. I shot everything! As one shoot after the next passed by I began to spot similarities and see consistency in my photos. I also saw things I didn't like and learned how to change it. Then I began shooting weddings...and with every wedding that passed by, I continued to develop my style. There really is no short cut to finding your "style". It just takes TIME & PRACTICE.

After doing a few of my first shoots, I would look at my photos and be proud of them and happy with the result. I now look back at my first shoots and often think, "what the heck was I thinking!?, that looks horrible!", LOL! That just shows you how much you grow your style with time and LOTS of practice. I can say now that I confidently KNOW my style. I know what is Katelyn Owens Photography. I know the look, the feel that I'm going for. I KNOW what I want my photos to communicate. And it feels GREAT to be in this place!!! Clients can tell when you have a "style", because it (should) and will stand out!

With that said, although I am far from where I began and confidently know my style, I will never and SHOULD never STOP "cultivating" my style! This is something that should progress, grow and continue to develop over time. Just think if after my first couple shoots I would have said, "Oh, I love how I shoot, I think I've found my style"...how horrible that would have been!? I would not be at the place I am today. I strive to continue to learn, grow, practice, and develop my style. And this happens naturally as I pursue my love for photography.

So I leave you with this "tip" for our "Tip Tuesday" series: To cultivate & develop your STYLE, give it time AND practice, practice, practice!!! I know, this is kind of cliche and you are probably wanting a short cut...but this is the truth and this is how I came to be where I am today :) I hope you enjoyed this first post of our series. PLEASE feel free to email me and ask ANY questions you can think of! I often get emails with many questions and I would love to start addressing them here!!! Email: katelynowensphotography@gmail.com.

Below are a few photos from my very FIRST shoots...along with some of my work today. You can see some consistency...but my style has definitely changed a lot! I like you guys so much that I am willing to post some of my first photos...that I would have to say are not the best by any means! Hope you enjoy them ;)

These first few are from when I first started... :)












Below are a few from recent weddings & engagements!... :)

















Can you tell a difference, lol!? ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment