Sep 18, 2012

Tip Tuesday: To Pose or not to Pose?

This is something that is reeeeeeally important to me when shooting portraits...posing. Or I should say "lack" of posing. As I mentioned in the last post, posing is something that really emphasizes your style. Posing effects the feel of your photos. Whatever "feel" you want to your photos to have, how you decide to pose is very important.

When I first started, I had a handful of poses I liked and thought were "cute", haha. As time progressed I learned more poses I liked and didn't like. As more time progressed I learned not only what poses I liked and didn't like...but what "feel" I wanted my photos to have...what I wanted to communicate to others through my photos.

Some photographers may want their photos to reflect a more modern feel...or maybe a more off-beat, quirky feel. I discovered that I love photos that have a natural, relaxed, comfortable feel. Once I figured this out...I began to think of poses that would reflect this. I thought of ways people in love would interact and show each other affection in real life. I then began to incorporate these "real life poses" into my photos.

My advice to you is that you think about what you want your photos to communicate to people. What "feel" you want them to have. Then from that, brainstorm poses that would reflect that. I know it's easy to  look to other photographer's work for inspiration...and from time to time that is good...but try to think of unique poses that will reflect your individual photography style and then your work will be sure to stand out! And of course like I say every time...be consistent! Be consistent in your poses. That doesn't mean you have to do the exact same ones every time. That does mean always try to incorporate similar poses into each wedding & portrait shoot you do :)

Keeping this post short this time. I ran out of time to write much...due to my sweet boy being sick :( I will leave you with a favorite photo from last weekends wedding! And PLEASE if you have any questions at all...shoot me an email: katelynowensphotography@gmail.com. I'd LOVE to address those here :)

Katelyn :)



No comments:

Post a Comment