Oct 9, 2012

Tip Tuesday: The business side: Clients

Man, I really have to stop writing these so late! My brain is just so slow at this time of the day, haha. Today, I decided to keep it short. Recently, I have been getting many emails about the "business" side of being a photographer and owning your own business. Us photographers who are usually very artistic at heart, often have a harder time with the business side of owning your own photography business. By business side I mean the marketing, advertising, budgeting, networking, etc side of it.

Thankfully, I can say I also enjoy this side of having my own photography business. It definitely does not come as natural as shooting, editing...the "photography" part of the business. I'm constantly learning as I go. Constantly developing new, faster and smoother ways to help run my business.

The question I get a lot is, "How do I get more clients". Basically asking, how do I spread the word about my business and help "word of mouth" to grow. I have a few simple answers for you. Not saying it always works the same for everyone...but this is what worked for me!

One... Facebook! Okay, I don't mean to give ALL the credit to fb for the success of my business...but I definitely have to give some! Launching my fb business page was the first thing I did to kick start my business. Having a fb business page just provides for you a platform for word of mouth to spread...a TON! Everyone's connected there and friends of friends of friends (and it goes on and on!) will see your work and it will grow.

Two... Focus on really building your portfolio! If someones going to hire you, they're going to want to see your work first...and this can't happen until you have some to show, haha! When I first started I shot anything and everything! I asked friends who were engaged if I could take their photos. I asked prego friends if I could take their photos. I did TONS of free shoots and discounted shoots to just get experience and have photos for my portfolio. The free ones are the best ones to practice on anyway...right!? Eventually those friends whose photos you did for free, will have friends who need photos taken and getting paid shoots will quickly happen.

Three... Network. Meaning, connect with other vendors out there. Get to know them, exchange business cards, take photos of their venues. Basically build relationships with them. Other then word of mouth, there is nothing more powerful in the photography industry then when other vendors love you and spread the good word about you to their clients!

Four... Create a website. Simple, but true. Yes, having a fb page is great. But having a website really communicates your "style" to your clients AND makes you look more professional and established. Plus, you can use it as an awesome resource to refer your clients to for price info, general info, etc.

The bottom line is, if you really want  your passion for photography grow and take off, then you really have to give it your all and work really hard at it! Often sacrifices have to be made, and sometimes you have to put your business first. But if you love it...it's all worth it! Following what your passionate about and your dreams is so important, no matter what it is :) Thanks for reading!!

Katelyn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment