Oct 17, 2012

Tip Tuesday: How You Make Their Day

After shooting an awesome wedding last saturday, it got me thinking. Thinking about what a great influence we have as photographers to help make someones wedding day amazing...or the opposite of amazing, not fun and stressful.

I always meet with my brides a couple weeks before the wedding to plan and go over their wedding day schedule.On the day of we do our best to stick to it...but there is a lot of time needed for getting ready for your big day...and sometimes you just can't rush that.

On saturday as wedding days often go, we were running a bit behind. As a photographer, there are two things I could do to handle this. One, I could continually be telling the bride what time it is and how long till photos, I could basically rush her to make her be ready for the scheduled photos. That way we have enough time to get all the photos I think we need to get. Or two, I could be relaxed, go with the flow of the day and not put anymore added unwanted stress on the bride. Let her take her time and enjoy every moment of the day and not feel rushed. Now this doesn't mean if were running reeeeeeally behind, like so behind we may not get any of the pre-ceremony photos done, that I can't pipe in and let her know that if she'd like photos before we should take them soon or something like that.

My theory is that a great wedding photographer should be able to be flexible, make the day as fun and stress free as possible for the bride and groom and even if left with only 15mins for the scheduled portrait time, still get plenty of amazing photos! I cannot tell you how many times I've had to do what was an hours worth of scheduled portraits in half the time or less. I would much rather go with the flow and have less time, then create a stressful day for the bride where she looks back and remembers that, instead of the fun she had! Yes, of course us photographers prefer LOTS of time for photos. We can then make sure to get all the shots we want and take our time. But I really think that as photographers, we should be able to rock the photos no matter the amount of time we have to work with.

As photographers, we are with the bride and groom a large chunk of the day. We do have the ability to help really make the day amazing for them...or stressful and harder. I've heard stories of both...where the couple raves about the photographers and how amazing they were and how surprisingly fun they were. And I've heard stories of how stressful, rushed and boring the photographers were. Trust me, the bride & groom WILL remember how you made there day! If you help make it amazing...they will never forget that!

Thanks for reading! I promise next time Tip Tuesday will actually be on tuesday, haha! And with that, I leave you with my favorite ring photo to date!


No comments:

Post a Comment