Oct 2, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Natural Lighting

I have never been one to neglect certain hours of the day for shoots due to the lighting. Yes, there are times of the day I prefer to shoot...but I aim to embrace all lighting conditions. I mean how lame would that be if as a photographer I only had successful shoots certain times of the day and was limited to such!?

When I first started,  I had yet to really discover how to successfully and artistically capture light. There were a few things I did know. I tried to shoot in even light and avoid spotty shadows...but that was about it. As with anything...through many hours of shooting, practicing and learning, I began to hone my skill of capturing light beautifully in my photography. Like I've mentioned a thousand times before...this really just takes time & practice. You learn from your mistakes...I know I sure did! And I'm STILL learning and growing with every shoot.

Often when I would scout out locations for shoots, I would only think about the backdrops and not at all the lighting. Lighting has a HUGE effect on the outcome of your photos and in result should be carefully considered. I learned not only how to shoot in all types of light...but what type of light I prefer. Again, when considering your light preference, think about your style and what best fits with it.

As this is a "tip tuesday" post...I have a few lighting TIPS for you!

Tip One: Don't avoid shooting at certain times of the day due to lighting, learn to work with it. This will open up a lot more time slots for your portrait shoots!


***Shot in very harsh lighting***

Tip Two: If shooting in harsh light, try to shoot in shadowed areas or areas with natural reflectors. Such as building areas with cemented grounds. The light will bounce off this surface and light up your subjects in a flattering way. Shadowed areas will soften the light and take some of the edge off.


 ***Shot in the shade, during harsh lighting time of day***


***Shot on cement ground...a natural reflector. Notice the warm glow on subjects?***

Tip Three: When shooting in shaded areas, avoid spotty shadows (unless of course this is the style your shooting for). Try to look for even shade, therefore casting even light on your subjects. There's nothing worst then having photos with spotty shade that cast dark areas and some over-exposed areas on the subject. Not only does this often distort the look of your subjects, it makes editing more challenging.


***Notice the spotty shadows and uneven light on some of the subjects?***

Tip Four: To avoid lighting on the sides of your subjects (not looking as even), try to imagine drawing a parallel line along the sun and either choose to face it or have your back to it. Facing it will cast a warm, even glow on your subjects. Having your back to it, will create gorgeous back lighting...that If you haven't noticed I'm a bit in love with! And that leads us to tip five.


***See the side lighting on the subject? If her back was turned a bit more to the sun...it would have been more even on her*** Note: see photo below


***See how the lighting is a bit more even on subject?***


Tip Five: Learn what lighting is YOU and fits your style. Think about what kind of lighting gets you most excited. That should give you a good idea of what lighting will fit your style. I learned that I really love the golden hour...specifically with back lighting! I'm a huge fan of warm light behind the subjects...and love to embrace sun flare!! Many photographers hate sun flare and strive to avoid it. You just have to find what fits best with your style and really develop that.


***The light that fits my style! The light I love!!!***

Tip Six: Don't think your shoot is ruined when the clouds come out. Although you won't get the warm, golden light that you would with no clouds, you will get mild, soft light and you will not be limited where to shoot! Clouds act as "diffuser" on the sun. Your light will be soft, even and due to there not being any harsh shadows, you can shoot anywhere! Your location and backdrops will not be limited by the light. Overcast lighting also creates rich, vibrant colors!


 ***Shot in over-cast lighting. Notice how even and soft it is!? Not to mention the rich colors!***

Overall, just do your best! As photographers we don't always have control over the lighting and just have to do our best with what's there :) That's about all I can think of for now. I need to stop writing these posts in the early a.m, lol! I'm surprised my brain is even functioning at this hour, haha! Please email me if you have any questions: katelynowensphotography@gmail.com :)

No comments:

Post a Comment